Roseau, Dominica – May 19, 2008…….. Dominica has two new CARICOM Youth Ambassadors in the persons of 20 year-old Monelle Alexis of Portsmouth and 23 year-old Jess Vital of Cochrane. Their appointment took effect earlier this year.
The CARICOM Youth Ambassador Programme (CYAP) is an initiative of CARICOM Heads of Government which is aimed specifically at promoting youth participation in regional integration and the social and economic development processes nationally and regionally.
The CYAP also aims to equip young Caribbean nationals with the knowledge, skills, attitudes and resources to:
· Advocate on behalf of young people in national and regional policy forums
· Educate young people on CARICOM issues
· Develop and implement integrated youth projects and programmes in collaboration with national and regional youth organisations/NGOs
The achievements of the CARICOM Youth Ambassador Programme are:
· Provided opportunities for outstanding youth to represent their countries and the region
· Developed administrative and advocacy skills of youth leaders
· Enabled young people to consider and comment on important regional issues
· Equipped young people to analyse critical issues confronting them and implement solutions(mini grants programme)
Ensured some level of youth participation in the development process nationally and regionally