DOMINICA–Police in Soufriere, Dominica, have made a major drug bust, seizing some thirty kilograms of cocaine, arresting four Dominicans, one St. Lucian and one resident of St. Maarten, news reports have stated.
Police public relations officer Inspector John Carbon said the seizure had been made on Thursday, July 5, around 6:00am, during a joint operation between the Drug and Marine Units of the Police Force. Carbon said an open-keel boat found about 500 metres out in Soufriere Bay also had been seized during the operation.
Arrested and charged with possession of cocaine, possession of cocaine with intent to supply and importing cocaine into the Commonwealth of Dominica, the six have been identified as J.C., E.H., K.P. and N.D. of Dominica, W.L. of St. Lucia and O.M. of St. Maarten.
J.C. is on bail for another matter and was charged with conspiracy to import 30,000 grams of cocaine at Scotts Head in Dominica on Thursday morning, July 5. He is the owner of a prominent bar in Dominica.
E.H., K.P. and W.L. pleaded not guilty to the charges and the matter was adjourned to September 14. Attorney Wayne Norde, who is representing all six accused, made an application to the court for bail for E.H., K.P. and N.D. However, according to Dominica Headline News, prosecutor Inspector Michael Laudat objected to bail, explaining that the matter was still being investigated and that other people were being sought.
Laudat also told Magistrate Ossie Lewis the men might be a flight risk and that the three by their own actions had left and returned to the country via the “back door.”
In addition, Laudat expressed concern about the possibility of the investigation being interfered with and reminded the court of the quantity of drugs involved. Bail was denied to all and the men remanded in custody.
The street value of the cocaine was put at EC $750,000.